Nokia Ovi Suite 18.104.22.168 clears Nokia 6700 classic when updating from v09.70 to v10.50 #fail
Posted by Jeroen Pluimers on 2010/08/23
I had a really bad experience using Nokia Ovi Suite 22.214.171.124 to update my Nokia 6700 classic phone from v09.70 to v10.50.
This is what I did:
- Make a backup on my Nokia 6700 classic in NBF format
- Copy the NBF backup file to a safe place
- Install Nokia Ovi Suite 126.96.36.199 on a fully patched Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a ThinkPad T61p
- Connect my Nokia 6700 classic to Ovi
- Start the process of updating the firmware of my Nokia 6700 classic
- Ask Ovi to make a backup of my Nokia 6700 classic first
- Finish updating the firmware of my Nokia 6700 classic
- Allow Ovi to restore the backup it made
- Reboot the phone, enter PIN, etc
Now the phone is blank: everything was wiped off, the backup restauration failed.
So I had to backup the backup I made on the phone itself.
However, I painfully discovered that Nokia phone backups are not complete!
This is what is not covered in the Nokia Phone backups:
- Profile alterations (for instance, I have made the “silent” profile enable the vibration function, which was disabled after the firmware upgrade)
- Home-Screen (I disabled it, it was now enabled)
- Options settings (which I put a lot of effort in enabling and organizing; I had to redo that taking more than an hour because that part of the UI is terrible to use)
- Speed dials (except for speed dial 1: voicemail)
- New installed applications
- Time zone
The odd thing is: these things are recovered from a backup:
- Game hi-scores
- Game user-settings
So somehow the Nokia backups aren’t backuping the settings they could for their internal software, but games backup ok.