The Wiert Corner – irregular stream of stuff

Jeroen W. Pluimers on .NET, C#, Delphi, databases, and personal interests

  • My work

  • My badges

  • Twitter Updates

  • My Flickr Stream

    20140508-Delphi-2007--Project-Options--Cannot-Edit-Application-Title-HelpFile-Icon-Theming

    20140430-Fiddler-Filter-Actions-Button-Run-Filterset-now

    20140424-Windows-7-free-disk-space

    More Photos
  • Pages

  • All categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,360 other followers

SoupUI – as sometimes that is the only thing that works (via: SmartBear Forum • View topic – The JVM could not be started – Soap UI)

Posted by jpluimers on 2012/05/17

When trying to dissect .NET 1.1 web services from their .asmx and WSDL, you need some tooling.

You’d think the WCF Test Client works, but it only partially generates the calls; it gets the methods OK, but not the parameters.

Importing the .NET WebService in Visual Studio is another option, but not for a “quick play around with the calls”.

For that, Soap UI seems a good option.

If you know better tools, please let me know in the comments.

It works, and when you get it to work it is dead slow (it keeps one core running at 50%).

Getting it to work gives many people this kind of error message:

---------------------------
Error
---------------------------
The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-Xmx) might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I found a bit of help on the SmartBear forum. These are the relevant pieces that got me going:

“The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size (-XMx) might be too large or anti virus or firewall tool could block the execution.”

and

I had the same issue today morning while starting from the exe file (I installed from windows installer) and also have a JVM configured on the machine.

Within soapUI-3.6.1.vmoptions file in “bin” directory, I reduced the xmx from 1200m (default) to 486m and that makes it to work. Try this – it might help.

In case, you are using bat file to start, there is a separate xmx setting within bat and you will need to make this xmx change in bat file.

Solution:

  1. Don’t run the shortcut that points to soapUI-4.0.1.exe, run the batch file called soapui.bat.
  2. The batch file is in a directory like \Program Files\SmartBear\soapUI-4.0.1\bin
  3. If needed tweek the batch file to have the right parameters.
  4. I did not have to tweak the batch file.

Quitting SoapUI gives you the pleasure of the error message below; just forcefully quit the command prompt there (pressing Ctrl-Break or Ctrl-C won’t work), and the batch file will quit.

Exception while removing reference: java.lang.InterruptedException
java.lang.InterruptedException
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
        at sun.java2d.Disposer.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

–jeroen

via: SmartBear Forum • View topic – The JVM could not be started – Soap UI.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,360 other followers

%d bloggers like this: