How To Patch vSphere 5 ESXi Without Update Manager (thanks @ccolotti)
Posted by jpluimers on 2013/02/11
So I won’t forget: How To Patch vSphere 5 ESXi Without Update Manager.
It describes how to:
- enable SSH on your ESXi host
- download the patches directly from the VMware Patch Portal
- copy them to on your ESXi host using an SCP compatible tool (FileZilla or WinSCP will do fine) to a mounted data store (the ESXi image will be tool small for it)
- collect to the ESXi console using SSH
- run this esxcli command:
esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/[DATASTORE]/[PATCH_FILE].zip
- Remove the patch file from the datastore after patching
Thanks Chris Colotti for publishing this!