The Wiert Corner – irregular stream of stuff

Jeroen W. Pluimers on .NET, C#, Delphi, databases, and personal interests

  • My work

  • My badges

  • Twitter Updates

  • My Flickr Stream




    More Photos
  • Pages

  • All categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,610 other followers

Archive for the ‘Development’ Category

Canonical overview on Writing to the Windows Event Log using Delphi – Stack Overflow

Posted by jpluimers on 2016/07/26

A while ago, StackOverflow user Kobus Smit did some brilliant editorial work that – due to current state of StackOverflow – sort of fired backwards: his question got marked as duplicate before he could post his excellent answer. After that answer was posted, the oh-so pride SO-demi gods never took any energy to revisit to see which answers were best.

His simple question:

How can my Delphi app easily write to the Windows Event Log?What is the difference between TEventLogger and ReportEvent? How do I use the ReportEvent function?

Which somehow should be encompassed by this Delphi 5 question (apparently that 15+ year old Delphi version is still considered current by the SO demi-gods).

The answer summarises and extends existing answers spread out over StackOverflow and adds an EventLog git repository wrapping the ReportEvent and RegisterEventSource (which somehow is always a pain: Delphi services for instance often forget that).

Lesson learned when doing editorial work:

  1. prepare both the answer and question in markdown off-line
  2. ensure you mention in the question that the answer is meant as collection of “best of” answers found elsewhere
  3. post the question and answer in rapid succession
  4. cross your fingers for the StackOverflow demi-gods being in a good mood


via: Writing to the Windows Event Log using Delphi – Stack Overflow

Posted in Delphi, Delphi 10 Seattle, Delphi 10.1 Berlin (BigBen), Delphi 2005, Delphi 2006, Delphi 2007, Delphi 2009, Delphi 2010, Delphi 5, Delphi 6, Delphi 7, Delphi 8, Delphi XE, Delphi XE2, Delphi XE3, Delphi XE4, Delphi XE5, Delphi XE6, Delphi XE7, Delphi XE8, Development, Software Development | Leave a Comment »

The five key phases of software development…

Posted by jpluimers on 2016/07/26

Every methodology has their own. I like the ones in the picture, of which the teacher obviously didn’t get them at all. Maybe because COP 3331 is about Object Oriented Design?

  1. Denial
  2. Bargaining
  3. Anger
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

Sounds familiar?


via: Name and describe the five key phases of software development….

COP 3331

COP 3331


Posted in Development, Software Development | Leave a Comment »

Powershell 4.0 hates Lucida Console and switches to raster fonts

Posted by jpluimers on 2016/07/25

PowerShell 4.0 is madly in love with

PowerShell 4.0 is madly in love with “English (United States)”

A long time ago I started writing up my blog post like this in March 2015 when I bumped into this the first time when upgrading from PowerShell 2 to PowerShell 4:

It seems there is no real workaround:

Good and not so good news: after reading the below linked posts, this is what works:

  • PowerShell 4 and up works fine with any Lucida Console size (including 12) and boldness
    • only when the “Language for non-Unicode programs” is set to “English (United States)”.
  • PowerShell 4 works fine with Consolas on any size and boldness
    • for any “Language for non-Unicode programs”

So if you’re like me and switch between “Dutch (Netherlands)” and “English (Ireland)” a lot (both use the EURO as currency, but have distinct enough other locale settings to cover a lot of European stuff) then you need to get used to the Consolas font.



Posted in CommandLine, Development, Power User, PowerShell, PowerShell, Scripting, Software Development, Windows, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 9 | Leave a Comment »

delphi – Building Multi threaded TCP/IP Server – Stack Overflow

Posted by jpluimers on 2016/07/21

On the research list: TIdSchedulerOfThreadPool (now that TIdThreadMgrPool is gone).

Need to manage the lifetime of these as I don’t want the threads to live forever, but also don’t want to make the instantiation cost too high.

Most likely I want to wait for them to finish as well upon process exit, so this might be worth a look as well:


Source: delphi – Building Multi threaded TCP/IP Server – Stack Overflow

Posted in Delphi, Development, Software Development | 4 Comments »

the curse of tooling replacing double quotation marks with left double quotation marks and right double quotation marks – via StackOverflow

Posted by jpluimers on 2016/07/21

Most developers I speak to have trapped into a case of copy/pasting some source code containing quotation marks from documentation or post immediately failing on curly quotes like left double quotation marks () and right double quotation marks () that should have been regular double quotation marks (").

I’ve tried to search for a way to automate the replacement process to “ASCII quotation marks”, but not found an on-line engine yet. The best I could find was this post: java – Replacing unicode punctuation with ASCII approximations – Stack Overflow.

Note it’s not only the auto-correct of office applications. For instance “blog engines” like WordPress do that too, unless you add a code or pre around them:

  • code: "blog engines"
  • pre:
    "blog engines"

Very irritating, but apparently nowadays beauty trumps accuracy.


via: xampp – Apache Prefixing Path to Virtual Hosts Path – Stack Overflow.

Posted in Development, Software Development, Source Code Management | Leave a Comment »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,610 other followers

%d bloggers like this: