The Wiert Corner – irregular stream of stuff

Jeroen W. Pluimers on .NET, C#, Delphi, databases, and personal interests

  • My badges

  • Twitter Updates

  • My Flickr Stream

  • Pages

  • All categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,595 other followers

Archive for September 30th, 2013

When KB2844285 fails to update on Widows XP after the 20130813 refresh

Posted by jpluimers on 2013/09/30

KB2844285 failed to update on one of my XP systems, probably because it got re-released on 20130813: MS13-052: Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003: July 9, 2013.

The .NET Framework Repair Tool failed as well, so I needed more rigorous measures.

To get it working, the below steps are what I did after reading Updated: what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help – Aaron Stebner’s WebLog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs.

The reason for all these steps is that there is are dependencies (3.5 SP1 depend on 3.5, which depends on 3.0 SP2, which depends on 3.0, which depends on 2.0 SP2, which depends on 2.0; the language packs depend on their respective versions).

  1. run Appwiz.cpl (that’s the Add or Remove Programs wizard in the Control Panel).
  2. uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 (I didn’t have language packs for that installed).
  3. uninstall the language packs for .NET 3.0 SP2.
  4. uninstall the language packs for .NET 3.0.
  5. uninstall .NET 3.0 SP2.
  6. uninstall the language packs for .NET 2.0 SP2.
  7. uninstall the language packs for .NET 2.0.
  8. uninstall .NET 2.0 SP2.
  9. uninstall .NET 2.0 SDK ENU.
  10. read the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User’s Guide, then ran the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool for .NET versions 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 in that order.
  11. reboot
  12. download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (it is needed by the SDK from the next step).
  13. that failed: “DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.”.
  14. uninstall .NET 4 Client Profile
  15. uninstall .NET 1.1 language packs
  16. uninstall .NET 1.1 SDL
  17. uninstall .NET 1.1
  18. run the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool for .NET versions 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.1 in that order
  19. download and install the .NET 1.1
  20. download and install the .NET 1.1 SDK
  21. download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (it is needed by the SDK from the next step).
  22. download and install the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework SDK (some tools on this machine required this).
  23. downloaded and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (as it contains .NET 2.0 through 3.5 SP1 including all intermediate versions and updates).
  24. read the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool User’s Guide, then ran the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool: no problems.
  25. installed the updates and hotfixes for the above .NET versions using the Microsoft Update site.

It was a single processor system, so it took a few hours to complete, but now it works well again.

BTW: in preparation of the Windows XP / Windows 2003 Server, I plan to create and archive a few activated VMs with as many .NET frameworks and language packs on it. Just in case I need it for clients that still depend on them.

–jeroen

via: KB2844285 – fail to update – Microsoft Community.

Posted in Power User, Windows, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: