Windows Security updates sometimes break old software.
ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming ‘<path>\DiskImages\DISK1\<filename>.isc’ into setup.exe.
An earlier security update KB2962872 even crashed InstallShield 2012 and 2013 during startup.
It raises the issue if security updates are more important than upgrading your tool-chain. For less flexible organisations (not limited to large ones; small ones can be just as inflexible for instance when an upgrade also requires time or skills to be acquired) this can impose a serious problem.
Where Windows XP let you choose which updates to install and when, Windows 7 and 8 became more mandatory (installing security updates automatically even rebooting). Rumour was that Window 10 does not even let you uninstall security updates any more, but that has feature has been removed.
- InstallSite Blog – Windows Update breaks InstallShield command line build.
- Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming… when signing the MSI file – Page 3.
- Black Tuesday patch KB 2962872 crashes InstallShield, causes slowdowns | InfoWorld.
- Windows 7 users report issues installing Microsoft update · SC Magazine US · Disqus.
- Microsoft Backtracks On Windows 10 Forced Updates – Forbes.
- Windows 10 for Enterprise: More secure and up to date | Windows For Your Business.