Recently, I had big problems with my Fritz!Box 7340 losing ADSL sync on my xs4all ONLY connection.
The odd thing is: the problems started after it worked well for quite a while.
I had multiple dozens of these reconnects per day, sometimes as few as once every fre hours, but often as many as half a dozen per hour:
11.07.11 05:14:08 IPv6 Internet connection established successfully. Prefix: 12ab:34cd:56ef::/48 11.07.11 05:14:08 IPv6 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: 12ab:34cd:56ef::fe01dc23:ba45:9867 11.07.11 05:14:07 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: 172.31.120.210, DNS server: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11, Gateway: 18.104.22.168 11.07.11 05:14:01 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 10007/1029 kbit/s). 11.07.11 05:13:47 DSL synchronization starting (training). 11.07.11 05:13:32 Internet connection cleared. 11.07.11 05:13:32 IPv6 Internet connection was cleared; prefix no longer valid. 11.07.11 05:13:32 Internet connection cleared. 11.07.11 05:13:31 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).
The xs4all helpdesk didn’t respond on my emails, and Google searches didn’t reveal much.
This is what I tried:
- I tried getting the FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7340.en-de-es-it-fr.99.05.04-19769.image firmware, mentioned in this thread, but could not download it any more.
- I also tried to set the DSL settings to “maximum stability” without any improvement, resetting to factory settings, etc.
- The router is already very close to the ISRA point (where DSL enters the house), and I tried both with/without splitter with no improvement whatsoever.
- Read the steps in this sat4all thread, but found nothing unusual in my hardware and software config.
I didn’t expect any improvement as nothing on my side has changed, and before xs4all ONLY, I ran DSL for more than 10 years with different modems and no problems whatsoever.
Finally, I downgraded to Firmware-Version 99.04.88 from Firmware-Version 99.04.90.
When downgrading, keep this in mind:
- Fritz! does not keep old firmware versions on-line; you must regularly get the Fritz!Box 7340 part of their ftp site and keep an archive yourself
- It will reset your router to factory state and not remember any settings
- It cannot restore your settings if you saved them with a higher firmware version, not even when you save them with a password as the web-interface seems to suggest
Luckily, one of the things that xs4all did well, is keep an archive of firmware versions for the Fritz!Box 7340, including a Firmware-Version 99.04.88.
Perform these steps when downgrading: Read the rest of this entry »