The Wiert Corner – irregular stream of stuff

Jeroen W. Pluimers on .NET, C#, Delphi, databases, and personal interests

  • My badges

  • Twitter Updates

  • My Flickr Stream

  • Pages

  • All categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,702 other followers

Archive for September 17th, 2018

(88) swopper office chair: how to assemble and adjust – YouTube

Posted by jpluimers on 2018/09/17

Interesting chair. Bit pricy, but I tried it and like it!

–jeroen

Posted in LifeHacker, Power User | Leave a Comment »

Some interesting presentations by Arjen Kamphuis

Posted by jpluimers on 2018/09/17

The missing of [WayBackArjen Kamphuis (@ArjenKamphuis) | Twitter, made me revisit some of his past videos. In addition, I made the list quite a bit longer, as I was not aware he made so many presentations.

Many, but not all, of these videos are listed no YouTube video channel of Arjen Kamphuis.

Be sure to read the book Information Security for Journalists – Gendo he co-authored with Silkie Carlo.

–jeroen

 

Posted in Power User, Security | Leave a Comment »

Satellite internet is awfully slow for interactive use

Posted by jpluimers on 2018/09/17

A while back, Thomas Mueller assumed that Satellite internet could be an alternative for rural areas in Germany: [WayBack> Auch der Internet-Anschluss über Satellit funktioniere allenfalls quälend langsam <Das kommt mir aber ziemlich seltsam vor… – Thomas Mueller (dummzeuch) – Google+ as a response to [Archive.isTelekom-Posse: Wirt soll eine Million Euro für schnelles Internet zahlen – WELT.

So I summed up what throttling to 600 (optimistic) or 1000 millisecond (realistic) latency on a 10 megabit connection means: awfully slow for interactive use.

The problem with satellite based internet is latency times: 500 milliseconds is the physical minimum for a geostationary connection. It can easily double with overbooked connections (default with consumer DSL/Cable/Fiber).

The latency combined with the very chatty nature of most applications, is the real killer for your experience.

Compare that to my speeds 2 years ago: https://wiert.me/2015/10/05/fiber-to-fiber-speed-beats-cable-to-fiber-speed-by-a-factor-2-all-three-internet-connections-are-in-the-same-house/

I just did a comparison with the fiber connection at my brother (who lives some 20 miles away) and work too and re-checked the fiber connections in the article (they stayed the same).

  • fiber 1 = home
  • fiber 2 = home
  • fiber 3 = brother
  • fiber 4 = work

Traceroute results:

  • fiber 1 to fiber 2: 5 milliseconds
  • fiber 3 to fiber 2: 8 milliseconds
  • fiber 4 to fiber 2: 4 milliseconds
  • cable to fiber 2: 10 millseconds
  • ADSL to fiber 2: 15 millseconds

With these, you can have > 50 connections per second.

Satellite gives you 2 connections per second if you are lucky.

The blog page takes ~160 web requests.

  • DOM content load ~ 1.0 seconds
  • Full load finished ~2.2 seconds
  • Render finished ~5.0 seconds

I throttled it down to Satellite speed:

  • 10 megabit downstream
  • 2 megabit upstream
  • 600 millisecond latency

Now this is the load:

  • DOM content load ~ 2.9 seconds
  • Full load finished ~9.9 seconds
  • Render finished ~10.0 seconds

Increasing the latency to 1000 milliseconds brings this:

  • DOM content load ~ 4.2 seconds
  • Full load finished ~11.8 seconds
  • Render finished ~14.9 seconds

Fully loading gmail.com or booking .com with 1000 millisecond latency takes over 30 seconds.
References:

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Internet, Power User | 2 Comments »

When Windows 8.1 gives 80070643 on applying Office 2013 SP1

Posted by jpluimers on 2018/09/17

Steps to try first:

  1. Check %windir%\Windowsupdate.log (on my system, it did not reveal anything special)
  2. In an administrator command prompt, run sfc /scannow (which takes a few minutes to run)
  3. Reboot
  4. Run Clean Manager %windir%\System32\cleanmgr.exe (ensure to clean up update files: it can take tens of minutes to run)
  5. Reboot
  6. Download the SP1 files (I needed 32-bit x86)
  7. Install SP1 manually
  8. If it still hangs:
    1. In Appwiz.cpl try a “Repair” of the Office 2013 installation
    2. If it works: Reboot, otherwise:
      1. Uninstall Office 2013
      2. Disable the network adapter
      3. Reboot
      4. Check if KB3173424 is installed (check it with Appwiz.cpl)
        1. if not: download on a different machine, transfer over USB, install, then reboot
      5. Check ifKB3172614 is installed (which has a younger Windows Update Client)
        1. if not: downloadon a different machine, transfer over USB, install, then reboot
      6. Enable the network adapter
      7. Let Windows scan for updates and install them
        1. If you get an error 80070463 or 80070663: just reboot and retry the updates.
      8. Reboot
      9. Run Clean Manager
      10. Install Office 2013
      11. Reboot
  9. Let Windows scan for updates and install them
  10. Reboot
  11. Run Clean Manager
  12. Reboot

The KB3172614 should also alleviate long during (dozens of minutes) high CPU usage of svchost.exe and TiWorker.exe when searching for Windows updates.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Office, Office 2013, Power User, Windows, Windows 8.1 | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: