The Wiert Corner – irregular stream of stuff

Jeroen W. Pluimers on .NET, C#, Delphi, databases, and personal interests

  • My work

  • My badges

  • Twitter Updates

  • My Flickr Stream

  • Pages

  • All categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,842 other followers

Archive for the ‘Chrome’ Category

Reminder to self: find out how to disable YouTube auto-play in Chrome 60 and up

Posted by jpluimers on 2017/09/08

Somewhere around Chrome 60, this extension stopped to work for YouTube videos: Disable HTML5 Autoplay – Chrome Web Store.

It’s [WayBackunmaintained now as Google is supposed to work on an own disable-autoplay function, but this fails too:

More reading:

–jeroen

Posted in Chrome, Google, Power User | Leave a Comment »

Tested the CastBuddy extension from the Chrome Web Store: nice, but high CPU usage even when no videos

Posted by jpluimers on 2017/04/21

CastBuddy – Chrome Web Store:

This extension finds videos on the web sites you are browsing and allows you to play them on your Chromecast device.

Works nice if you need it, but uses a lot of CPU (on my Retina MacBook with latest chrome: about 75% of one CPU core) so it drains battery fast.

You can view this high CPU usage in the Chrome Task Manager (which used to be available through chrome://tasks, but this is one of the use full Find Hidden Features On Chrome’s Internal Chrome:// Pages features they removed). Fire up the Chrome Task Manager through the Window menu.

Verdict

Enable only when you need it. Disable after use in chrome://extensions

–jeroen

via: CastBuddy – Chrome Web Store:

When it finds Chromecast comptible videos ( .webm, .mp4, .mkv etc), count of videos is shown over extension’s menubar icon, which you can click to Select a video and extension will send it to your Chromecast device. Once a casting session is established, you can control video playback from Extension’s popup page.

Posted in Chrome, Google, Power User | Leave a Comment »

Forcing Chrome to use google.com as search engine

Posted by jpluimers on 2017/04/14

I tried the obvious things to force Chrome on my Mac and Windows to use google.com as search engine when searching through the address/search box (omnibox). On Windows, this works fine, but Chrome on Mac (both are linked through my gmail account) keeps insisting to use google.nl no matter what, as all these fail:

There are tons of reports on the google.com/ncr not working (you see the https://google.nl domain, in that search right?).

For me, google.com/ncr redirects to https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl, so it does redirect, but somehow doesn’t mark it to use as default.

In Chrome, my search settings in chrome://settings/searchEngines are these:

Google (Default) search settings

Google (Default) search settings

I’ve never changed it, so it still points to {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}

So basically, Chrome screws up the {google:baseURL} portion and there is no way to force {google:baseURL} to a certain value as the 2008 bug 1521 was marked “wontfix” in 2010 and nobody at Google seems to care (except a Google employee wanting expense paid trips abroad).

The totally odd thing is that when I start on https://google.com then search for say “Mac OS X start second atom instance”, I get to https://www.google.com/#q=Mac+OS+X+start+second+atom+instance

Poor mans solution

So I’ve defined two new search engine settings:

When Google.com lets you down, force it to use Google.com

When Google.com lets you down, force it to use Google.com

In case you want to copy the text:

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Chrome, Google, Power User | 2 Comments »

Decode URLs from The Great Suspender after a browser restart fails to reload them

Posted by jpluimers on 2017/03/16

Hosted at: Decode URLs from The Great Suspender after a browser restart fails to reload them

Converts URLs like these:
chrome-extension://klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg/suspended.html#url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.barryodonovan.com%2F2012%2F06%2F29%2Fmigrating-svn-with-branches-and-tags-to-git
back into
http://www.barryodonovan.com/2012/06/29/migrating-svn-with-branches-and-tags-to-git

Source below.

It decodes a URL encoded by The Great Suspender which is a cool Google Chrome plugin that suspends pages after some idle time.

The uncool thing is that when Google Crome restarts after a crash (it’s software, it does that, especially as it consumes truckloads of memory and is full of memory leaks) it often fails to restore some (but not many) of the suspended pages into a usable state: it shows only the encoded URLs.

–jeroen

Posted in Chrome, Development, Google, HTML, HTML5, JavaScript/ECMAScript, Power User, Scripting, Software Development, Web Development | Leave a Comment »

How to enable JavaScript in your browser and why

Posted by jpluimers on 2017/03/02

Just in case it’s not enabled yet: How to enable JavaScript in your browser and why

It even has some html to redirect to it, which I’ve replaced with the wayback machine (and put into a gist as WordPress kills noscript tag blocks and everything they contain.

I needed it as at a client site, one of the embedded devices would show the message “Javascript is required to use this web portal” in various web browsers so I had to check the JavaScript status in each browser.

–jeroen

Posted in Chrome, Chrome, Development, Firefox, Google, Internet Explorer, JavaScript/ECMAScript, Opera, Power User, Safari, Scripting, Software Development, Web Browsers | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: