Addendum to Guide to “Install Tomato firmware on Asus RT-N66U / RT-N16 / RT-N12 B1 / RT-N12 C1 / RT-N10U router 韌體教學 | Moonlight Knight”
Posted by jpluimers on 2012/07/23
I had a bit different experience getting the Tomato Shibby firmware loaded on one of my Asus RT-N66U routers than the description from Guide to Install Tomato firmware on Asus RT-N66U nor this Video of the Asus Routers Rescue Mode Tutorial.
Somehow, the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility kept indicating “The wireless router is not in rescue mode”, no matter what I did.
This might be due to that I run VMware Workstation with some virtual LAN adapters on most of my machines.
Or not: the web-interface on the Asus RT N66U would not get into the firmware restoration mode either.
This worked though:
- pull the power plug on the RT N66U
- press and hold the reset button
- insert the power plug on the RT N66U
- wait for the power led to slowly blink
- release the reset button
- wait a few minutes for the modem to become stable
- in the mean time set your PC to these IPv4 settings: – host = 192.168.1.100 – mask = 255.255.255.0
- start your web-browser
- point your web-browser to http://192.168.1.1 (it will time out, don’t worry)
- press the power button to turn off the router
- wait a few seconds
- press the power button to turn on the router now your router gets into rescue mode
- refresh your browser so it goes to http://192.168.1.1 again
- upload your Tomato firmware