Some Mikrotik and RouterOS Links to get it running on ESXi for experimental purposes.
Posted by jpluimers on 2014/03/27
RouterOS runs on many kinds of hardware. Of course on the MikroTik hardware itself (which always comes with a license), but also on x86 hardware, even virtualized systems.
Here are some links focused on MikroTik on ESXi (which is great for experimental purposes):
- i can t setup mikrotik on VMware ESXi 5 | VMware Communities, mentions IDE devices over SCSI, points to Setup Mikrotik on VMware vSphere Hypervisor ESXi 510 x86 64 – YouTube.
- MikroTik RouterOS • View topic – Production router with ESXi ? (a few notes like: requires IDE drives, seems to work best with e1000 ethernet cards, might favour x86 over x64).
- MikroTik RouterOS • View topic – ESXI+Mikrotik+VLAN.
- MikroTik RouterOS • View topic – Bridge not forwarding traffic on ESXi host (always turn on Promiscious mode on vSwitches, there might be issues with broadcasts when you have multiple physical NICs (pNics) on the same vSwitch);
- MikroTik RouterOS • View topic – RouteOS v6 vlan’s dont’t works in ESXI [SOLVED] (VLAN might not work with e1000?).
- MikroTik RouterOS • View topic – MT on ESXi as a gateway ?! (success story).
- Virtualization possibilities in MikroTik RouterOS.
- Bridging ESX Virtual Switch Networks using MikroTik and EoIP/Vlan/VPLS | The (unofficial) Mikrotik site.
- Install vMA 184.108.40.206 on VMware ESXi 5.1 U1 «RootLinks Co., Ltd..
- mikrotik with ESXi | Syed Jahanzaib Personnel Blog to Share Knowledge !: Vritualization: 3 in 1 > Using Mikrotik + Squid Proxy + Radius on single machine to save resources :) | Syed Jahanzaib Personnel Blog to Share Knowledge !.
WOL (Wake ON LAN)
- Cool stuff you can do with your Mikrotik Router » A Day in the Life of Just Another IT Guy: WOL an ESXi machine from RouterOS).