Some links on ESXi disaster recovery and configuration backup
Posted by jpluimers on 2014/03/27
Just in case the shit ever hits the fan:
- What directories to backup on ESXi apart from the VMs? – Server Fault.
- hardware – What happens when the USB key or SD card I’ve installed VMware ESXi on fails? – Server Fault.
- How To Backup ESXi Configuration – The Missing Piece.
- backup – ESXi disaster recovery plan – Server Fault.
- virtualization – Duplicating an ESXi host to another ESXi host as a backup solution – Server Fault.
- ESXi host losing settings at reboot – checking system partitions of ESX host | PS C:>(Get-Virtual).info.
- ESXi lost configuration on reboot | VMware Communities (not only for DELL machines, with explanations here and for generic ESXi here).
- Adding files to state.tgz in /bootbank.
- VMware KB: Locally restoring an ESXi configuration from state.tgz backup.
- ghettoVCB.sh – Free alternative for backing up … | VMware Communities.
- Scripts | SnowVM Blog.
- vSphere Command-Line Interface 4.0 Release Notes.
- vSphere Command-Line Interface 5.0 Release Notes.
- vSphere Command-Line Interface 5.1 Release Notes.
- forgottheaddress: installing vmware vsphere CLI v5 on debian 6.
- VMWare vSphere CLI and Perl SDK as an RPM.
- vSphere CLI is part of vMA: vSphere Management Assistant.
- TinkerTry IT @ home | How to install and configure VMware vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) 5.1 (note the new password requirements, otherwise you get BAD PASSWORD: is too simple).
- VMware vMA/VIMA | virtuallyGhetto.
- Comparing the VMware vMA and other ESXi management tools.
bootbank, altbootbank, backup.sh, auto-backup.sh
Adding your own software to ESXi:
- Installing ascp on ESXi 5 : Aspera Support.
- ESXi – enable FTP.
- Backup of ESXi Virtual Machines using Affa – SME Server.
- Completely Automated ESXi Deployment – Michael Lustfield.