USB-C charging cables: not always as good as you’d think
Posted by jpluimers on 2015/12/25
Merry X-mas sorting out your cables (:
Some interesting links that all come down to: make sure your USB-C cable is compliant before you start really using it.
you cannot be sure that cables Benson tested good are always good. Trust me, it happened to me. Knowing the ASINs/EANs of good cables, I went into local stores and bought a number of presumably good cables. Know what? They were bad. Might be that vendors recently changed their cables and there are still batches of bad ones out there, still with the same ASIN/EAN codes. So just be careful!
Having a weaker than 3A charger is actually a risk factor because the device being charged will always try to charge at 3 and if the older adapter can’t handle 3A, that is when it might be
- Sticky FAQ about Bad #USB #TypeC Legacy cables…
- Four-pack USB 3.0 (Type A) to USB C cables and free shipping?…. No-brainer!
- USB Type C and 3.1: clearing up the confusion | AndroidAuthority
- Google Engineer: Watch Out for Inferior USB-C Cables | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
- Testing when you have a Nexus 5X or 6P:
- Checking USB type-c to type-a cable compliance with the Nexus 5X Edit: or Nexus… (uses adb and dmesg; note that does not work on your Android itself unless you are rooted; a `dmesg` will get you a `klogctl: Permission denied`
- Boris Erdmann: Nexus 5X and 6P owners If you plan to make use of your USB-A chargers, want to…
- Nexus 5X and 6P owners If you plan to make use of your USB-A chargers, want to…
- Google sells certified good cables:
- A recent batch of these types were good:
- Amazon.com: Anker USB-C to USB-C Cable (3.3ft) for USB Type-C Devices…
- Anker USB-C auf USB 2.0 Kabel (1 m) für USB Type-C Geräte. Amazon.de …
- Amazon.com: Orzly USB 2.0 Type C to Type A Cables (Assorted Colours): Computers & Accessories
- Orzly® USB 2.0 Type C to Type A Schwarze Kabel: Amazon.de: Elektronik
- And some really bad:
- OnePlus (both the adapter and the OnePlus2 charging cable are bad): Don’t buy this #USB #TypeC adapter for your Chromebook Pixel or Nexus 6P/5X…
- Amazon.com: Profile for Benson Leung
- Benson Leung – Google+