VMware KB: Configuring Network Time Protocol (NTP) on ESX/ESXi hosts using the vSphere Client
Posted by jpluimers on 2016/09/16
Often it is better to configure more than just a single pool.ntp.org server in case the IP-address of the name gets cached too long and it becomes unresponsive during that period.
So it is better to configure multiple, choose from this list from pool.ntp.org: How do I setup NTP to use the pool?.
Here are the steps for one server where you need to repeat the steps after entering pool.ntp.org:
To configure NTP on ESX/ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x hosts using the vSphere Client:
- Connect to the ESX/ESXi host using the vSphere Client.
- Select a host in the inventory.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Click Time Configuration.
- Click Properties.
- Click Options.
- Click NTP Settings.
- Click Add.
- Enter the NTP Server name. For example, pool.ntp.org.
- Note: When entering the multiple NTP Server names, use a comma (,) followed by a space ( ) between the entries.
- Click OK.
- Click the General tab.
- Click Start automatically under Startup Policy.
- Note: It is recommended to set the time manually prior to starting the service.
- Click Start and click OK.
- Click OK to exit.